- Powerful Websites Designed for ALL Devices
If you haven’t heard of social media or at least know what it is in general terms, lets face it, your probably not reading this article. However, social media can simply be defined as any form of media via the internet that provides users the ability to communicate or interact with one another. Social media at its purest level is a form of internet marketing. It is ‘digit word-of-mouth’ advertising and is growing at staggering numbers. In 2009, advertising spend on the social media was estimated at $720 million. It is projected that this number will increase to more than $3.1 billion in 2014. Interesting enough, the growth rate is highest between the ages of 35-49, and has an impressive rate of growth from the 50-64 age group. To gain a better understanding of social media, I have listed below some of the most popular ways people are interacting and engaging with others online.
- Social networking sites such as Facebook, Twitter, MySpace, LinkedIn, Ning allow users to be apart of an online community. They add friends, have followers, send messages, join groups, follow others, play games, and share photos and videos with others. Businesses are beginning to understand that it is where there customers and prospective customers are spending their time. In fact, studies have shown that we spend 10% of our time on social networking sites. The time we spend social networking is now fourth behind the giants of search, portals, and software applications. Also, social networking is growing three times faster than the other three types of internet based activities just mentioned.
- Social bookmarking applications allow users to share their favorite online content with one another while also creating online bookmarks that the user can refer to in the same way he would a bookmark something in his web browser. Popular venues for social bookmarking are Twitter, Digg, Reddit, Stumbleupon, Yahoo Buzz, and Delicious
- Blogs provide opportunities for anyone (and I mean anyone) to write about anything (and I mean anything). Anyone with a voice has the potential to be heard online. Blogs today are typically shared and posted from other social media sites via the use embedded codes. Some providers that allow you to share various forms of content are YouTube, Issuu, Scribd, Twidox, Live Documents, Flickr, Photobucket, and many others. The most popular uses for blogs are WordPress, Blogger/Blogspot, LiveJournal, BlogSome, Xanga, and Blogabond (I will discuss blogs in more detail in my next posting).
- Media Releases or Press Releases provides businesses the opportunity to target and attract clients and/or prospective clients by writing articles that promote a special, a product, a service, or a brand. A release can also attempt to share important information for the purpose of creating awareness and gaining impressions.
- A Wiki (or Wikipedia) refers matching content created and published by multiple users from different localities and at different times. Wiki is considered an excellent resource for and by online users.
- Photo and Video sharing sites allow users to upload photos and/or videos to share publicly, privately, or with only selected users. Creative Commons licensing rights will all others to use photos by simply embedding the codes into their blogs. Flickr, Photobucket, YouTube, Bing, and many others
- Presentation Sharing is when users upload their files (typically .pdf) then convert them through the use of an online presentation application. Like video and Photo sharing, these presentation tools include embedded codes and options for email, making it very simple to share this content online.
There are a wealth of social media sites available via th web. Knowing your target audience is the key component in creating and developing your social media portfolio for your company and/or brand.
To learn more about the OMG team and the services we provide contact us today.
OMG Internet Marketing | Web Development
P.O. Box 1597
Winter Park, FL 32790
Toll-Free: (866) 906-4056