- Powerful Websites Designed for ALL Devices
10 Amazing Internet Facts
The internet is used around the globe daily for so many various reasons that it’s difficult to remember how we ever got along without it. The internet is such an essential part of our life that sometimes we take for granted its awesomeness and its incredible journey over the past 40 plus years. We’ve compiled a short list of 10 interesting and mind-blowing internet facts that you may not have known.
10 Amazing Internet Facts
- A little over forty years ago the internet was invented in a beer garden. In fact, it was founded on August 27, 1976 on a picnic table at Rossotti’s (or Zott’s) Alpine Inn Bear Garden.
- More than half the world’s population (3.6 Billion people) are connected to the internet.
- A company by the name of Interbrand came up with the term “Wi-Fi” as a play on words for the term Wireless Fidelity … like the then popular term “Hi-Fi” or “High Fidelity”. They even used the term in an advertising campaign which helped popularize the term Wi-Fi. However, Wi-Fi doesn’t stand for anything. Wi-Fi is actually the name of a wireless networking technology that uses radio waves to provide high-speed network and Internet connections.
- Today there are approximately 7.4 billion people living on the planet, and ~ 23 billion internet of things (IoT) connected devices, which is an average of 3 devices per person. By 2025 it is estimated that there will be over 75 billion IoT connected devices worldwide.
- While the average internet speed across the globe is 5.6Mbps, in the USA it is 18.8Mbps. The country with the fastest internet speed is South Korea with an average Internet speed of 26.7Mbps!
- 90% of consumers are being driven towards the connected smart home trend by better security for their homes and families.
- Currently, the average person spends nearly 10 hours a day online. Unbelievably, we now spend more time on the Internet than we do sleeping (8.4 hours).
- Connected devices now include toothbrushes, floss, ovens, forks, water bottles, belts, walking sticks, umbrellas, shirts, and yes… condoms!
- There will be at least 3.5 billion Google searches performed today. Google also processes over 40K search queries every second. That translates to 1.2 trillion Google searches per year.
- Google.com is the most popular website in the world. Youtube.com is second and Facebook.com is third.
The internet has become such an integral part of our everyday life, yet we really know very little about this technology, and we are just scratching the surface compared to how it will be used in the future. Feel free to use these internet facts to impress your friends with your newfound knowledge.